Have you ever wondered how hotels are able to keep their laundry so fresh and clean? It’s not miracle detergents or purifying by fire. It’s ingenuity and maybe a little chemistry. In this article, we will share with you some pro tips, practices and advice from people who do this for a living in 5-star hotels.
1. How to properly load the washing machine
You don’t want to load it too full, because the wash will be inefficient, or leave it too empty, because then the things you wash might get damaged. Ideally, you should keep the load to 80% of the machine’s capacity. That ensures a proper wash and keeps damage away.
2. The optimal temperature for removing dirt and disinfecting linen
The optimal temperature range is between 104°F and 140°F. Colder water does not completely eliminate the dust mites and bacteria from bedsheets and towels, while a water that is too hot will destroy the fabrics.
3. Avoiding rigid towels
Normally, you use conditioners to fluff up the towels in the wash. If you don’t add 3oz of white vinegar during rinsing, in time, the conditioner will build up in the towel fabric and will make it rigid.
4. Removing stains
- Fresh oil stains: sprinkle with sweetener or starch, then wash the item.
- Traces of tomato juice or tomato sauce: apply a few drops of WD-40 universal oil on the stain and leave for 5 to 10 minutes, then wash the item in cold water.
- Sweat stains on white items: prewash with any washing agent at a temperature of 104°F, then wash in a normal cycle, adding bleach.
- Coffee and wine stains: soak the item for one hour in a saline solution (1 tbsp. of salt to 34 oz of water), then wash normally.
- Yellowing on white items: add half a measuring cup of baking soda to the detergent, and wash the item in hot water.
5. Proper drying
Normally, you should dry all clothes outdoors, fully exposed to the sun. If that’s not possible, and you have to use a dryer, add a tennis ball in the drum, to better fluff up the towels.
The BetterMe Team wants you and those close to you to live a healthy, happy life! Your health is a valuable thing; look after your body and your mind so that you can live your life to the fullest – Remember you only get one!
Please share this with your friends and family and let us know what you think in the comments below.