You may not think about it too often if you don’t experience any issues, but your back takes on a lot of the daily work of keeping your body running well. With the amount of pressure and responsibility on your back, it’s vital to keep it strong and able to handle the workload. This can be done by practicing specific exercises designed to strengthen and maintain back function.
Here are 5 moves you can do to keep your back in prime shape:
#1. Plank Thrusts
Strengthens and firms your upper back and whole body.
- Position yourself in standard plank pose, palms flat, balls of feet down.
- Using arm strength, tighten elbows, pushing body forward, toes to ground.
- Keep steady in position for fifteen seconds.
- 4 repetitions.
#2. Bring Legs to Hug Chest
A move to help your lower back and hips.
- Flat back on floor or mat, arms to sides, legs straight out.
- One knee to chest, hugged by arms, hold five seconds.
- Alternate knees.
- 10 repetitions each knee, 4 total sequences.
#3. Superman Plank
Good for adding strength to abdominals, glutes, and back.
- Kneeling position, back neutral.
- Lift and extend one leg and its contrasting arm out straight, maintaining stretch five seconds.
- Alternate limbs.
- 10 repetitions each limb combination, four total sequences.
#4. Standard Lunge
Help build resistance and firmness of back and legs.
- Natural standing position, legs slightly apart.
- Move one leg in front, bend both knees so back knee is barely above ground.
- Arms either above head or straight in front of chest.
- Hold lunge five seconds.
- Alternate sides.
- 10 repetitions per leg, three total sequences.
#5. Proper Pushup
Strengthen and tones back, arms and shoulders.
- Raise yourself to be supported by palms of hands and balls of feet, body and back firmly straight.
- Bend elbows and lower body down, pushing back up again.
- 10 repetitions, four total sequences.
These five simple moves, when added to your normal routine, will keep your back strong and able to support you in your daily life.
The BetterMe Team is by your side throughout your fitness journey! Stay motivated and you can achieve your goals. If you are struggling with your motivation have a look at one of our many articles for inspiration.
Help us support and motivate those you love by sharing this article with them and let us know what you think in the comments below.