As time passes and you get older, you may notice that it becomes increasingly more difficult to lose weight. That is because your hormones start to experience changes in their levels of functioning. Don’t feel pessimistic. The trick is to make sure that all your hormones that affect your ability to lose weight are balanced.
Each hormone works in a different way to affect your weight, and there are specific ways to work on balancing them. Here are 4 common hormones that can help you lose weight when functioning properly:
As you’re probably aware, estrogen plays the biggest role in the growth of female sexual characteristics. When you have too much estrogen being produced in your system, weight will stay no matter what your diet and exercise program is. Many women have too much estrogen and it is often made worse by environmental factors including hormones in meat and plastic.
Ways to Balance Estrogen to Work Towards Losing Weight
- Eat large amounts of vegetables each day.
- Aim for 35-45 grams of fiber per day.
- Try taking Wild Yam supplement.
- Decrease red meat intake.
- No processed foods and less sugar.
- Exercise every day for increased detoxification.
Cortisol deals with how your body reacts to various stressful situations. With high levels of stress, comes too much cortisol, which can cause visceral fat to be stored.
Balance Cortisol to Lose Weight
- Try consuming a lower amount of caffeine.
- Practice mindfulness and deep breathing.
- Adopt a meditation routine.
- Take magnesium or Vitamin B.
- Improve the quality and increase quantity of sleep.
Leptin alerts your brain when you are full. When you over consume fructose sugar, it is stored as fat and increases leptin. Then your body can’t understand when it’s full so you will eat more.
Balancing Leptin to Aid Weight Loss
- Get adequate amounts of sleep.
- Eat omega-3 rich foods like fish, or take an omega-3 supplement.
- Eat less extra sugar.
- Keep your exercise routine regular.
Insulin works to maintain glucose levels in blood. Unbalanced insulin levels cause your body to struggle losing weight, in general.
How to Balance Insulin Levels to Push Weight Loss
- Drink water with apple cider vinegar each morning.
- Eat protein with each meal in your day.
- Have more meals of smaller sizes throughout the day.
- Try low-glycemic carbs like fruit, beans, and vegetables.
- Cut out any added sugar in your diet.
When you’re on a weight loss journey that seems to be going nowhere, you definitely want to check if your hormones could be presenting a challenge. Spend time balancing these 4 hormones, and your pounds may start to melt off.
The BetterMe Team is by your side throughout your fitness journey! Stay motivated and you can achieve your goals. If you are struggling with your motivation have a look at one of our many articles for inspiration.
Help us support and motivate those you love by sharing this article with them and let us know what you think in the comments below.