Tartar will start to build up on your teeth when food gets stuck in between them. You can go to the dentist to have it removed, of course, but there are also ways to take care of it from the comfort of your home.
Most importantly, you should try to craft your dental hygiene routine to prevent the formation of tartar in the first place.
- Try to brush your teeth at least 2, better 3, times the day.
- Use mouthwash and dental floss on a daily basis.
- Avoid foods with a lot of sugar and starch, and rinse your mouth when you do eat them.
- Get to your dentist’s office twice per year to keep your pearly whites clean.
If you have tartar buildup on your teeth and you’re not yet due for another dentist appointment, try these natural fixes:
1. Baking Soda
One of baking soda’s many purposes is to be used for whitening teeth.
- Add a bit of baking soda to a cup or bowl.
- Wet your toothbrush.
- Dip toothbrush in baking soda.
- Brush teeth.
2. Hydrogen Peroxide
Another classic household staple often used for whitening teeth and cleaning wounds.
- Mix one part water with one part hydrogen peroxide.
- Gargle with mixture after brushing teeth 2-3 times per week.
- Keeps your mouth healthier overall.
3. Eat Apples
As they say, one a day keeps your doctor at bay.
- Eat one raw apple with the skin.
- Cleans your teeth naturally.
4. Eat or Drink Oranges
Vitamin C prevents tartar from accumulating on teeth.
- Eat oranges raw.
- Drink orange juice daily.
- Rub inside of orange peel on teeth before bed.
5. Aloe Vera with Baking Soda
For intense tartar buildup, use this mix twice per week after cleaning teeth before bed.
What You’ll Need
- One cup water
- Half cup baking soda
- One tablespoon aloe vera gel
- Ten drops lemon essential oil
- Four tablespoons vegetable glycerin
What to Do
- Mix water and baking soda well first.
- Add lemon oil and aloe vera.
- Add glycerin.
- Shake in lidded container until smooth paste.
- Brush teeth with mixture every day.
6. Chew Sesame Seeds
Take advantage of rough textures.
- Chew sesame seeds but don’t swallow.
- Brush teeth using spit and sesame seed paste from chewing.
- Spit and rinse with lukewarm water.
7. Eat Tomatoes and Strawberries
Vitamin C is helpful.
- Eat the fruits, chewing well.
- Rub them on your teeth for extra cleaning.
8. Use Anti-Tartar Toothpaste
Skip store-bought products and make your own toothpaste at home.
- You Will Need
- Half cup coconut oil.
- Three tablespoons baking soda.
- Two tablespoons stevia powder.
- Twenty drops of any essential oil you want.
Here’s What You’ll Do
- Put all ingredients in jar with lid.
- Mix until paste is formed.
- Use as standard toothpaste daily.
9. Eat Celery and Carrots
Use your veggies wisely.
- Snack on raw celery and carrots to clean and strengthen teeth.
10. Eat Whole Almonds
More textural play.
- Eat almonds raw so they rub against your teeth removing tartar as you chew.
- All you need is about a handful per day.
Take your dental health into your own hands and fight against tartar.
The BetterMe Team wants you and those close to you to live a healthy, happy life! Your health is a valuable thing; look after your body and your mind so that you can live your life to the fullest – Remember you only get one!
Please share this with your friends and family and let us know what you think in the comments below.