If you have hidden your skinny jeans in a corner of your cupboard, it’s time to work on a way to get back into them by taking up the 1000 calorie diet plan.
If you are small framed, do not exercise often and want to lose weight quickly, the 1000 calorie diet plan is suitable for you. This diet is exactly what it says….you are allowed to consume a maximum of 1000 calories per day.
The drastic reduction in your consumption of calories will result in weight loss whilst taking part in a little exercise. There will be a shortage of energy between 500 to 1000 calories and will burn approximately 8% of fat.
Caution: Before taking part in any diet, you need to consult your doctor or a dietitian to confirm that this diet is suitable for you. It is not suitable for anyone with or who has had an eating disorder or a complicated background in medical history.
READ MORE: Tips to relieve sciatica by stretching
This diet is not suitable for women who lead an active lifestyle and weigh more than 165 pounds as you will need to consume 1200 calories per day. This diet is also not suited to anyone wanting a long-term weight loss.
Diets are not suited to all individuals and a lot of factors need to be taken into account before determining which diet is suited to you such as age, current weight, health of your bones and muscles, mental health, genetics etc.
#1. What to eat
This 1000 calorie diet focuses on lowering the consumption of fat, sugar and carbohydrates whilst taking in smaller and more frequent meals. Black coffee and diet sodas are fine to be taken in moderation but alcohol is totally off limits. Taking part in heavy exercise is not advised as, because of the low calorie intake, there will be very low levels of energy.
Care must be taken to choose a healthy diet menu when choosing food items in order for the desired results to be achieved.
- The 1000 calorie diet plan should include wheat foods and enzymes that are rich in vitamin B, proteins, and fibers .
- The diet must have a reduction in whole food types like carbs or trans-fats as your body needs nutrition to improve health overall.
- Low-fat milk foods and green vegetables will ensure that calcium is included. Fruits and vegetables are very important to be remembered.
- Salads low in calories can include fruits like oranges, pears, strawberries, and numerous other berries.
- Besides being low in calories, green veggies like spinach, celery, baby marrow, broccoli, are rich in vitamins and minerals
- Although cabbage contains calories, it is pretty rich in nutritional fiber.
- Vegetables like cucumber and celery, have a high water content.
#2. What not to eat
To take part in the 1000 calorie diet successfully, the following list of foods should absolutely be avoided :
- Fats & oils – Coconut oil, ground nut oil, walnut oil, palm oil, avocado oil, animal fat oil, butter, peanut, almond and cashew butter, cheese, cream cheese.
- Seeds & nuts – Hazelnuts, cashew nuts, watermelon seeds, walnuts, pine nuts, desiccated coconut, peanuts, Brazil nuts, pistachio, and chia seeds.
- Dry fruits – Dates, prunes, dried currants, apricots, figs, and cranberries.
- Fruits, veggies, and Legumes – Avocado, mango, litchi, potato, corn, and soybeans.
- Proteins – Beef, pork, lamb, and tofu.
#3. Role of exercise when on the 1000-calorie diet
Although exercising is a healthy habit, the 1000 calorie diet is a low-calorie diet plan for rapid weight loss. You can take part in casual paced walks and stretching exercises which will keep your muscles active. As you are consuming a lot less calories from what you normally do, you may experience weakness. It is advisable you stay off all hard going exercises until you have stopped the 1000-calorie diet.
#4. Benefits of the 1000-calorie diet
- When it comes to burning calories at a fast rate on a low calorie diet, the 1000 calorie diet is very helpful.
- As fruits and vegetables have a high content of water, they give you a feeling of being full which will prevent you from eating more than you need.
- This diet will boost your confidence by helping you to shed the extra weight and encourage a much healthier way of eating.
#5. Side effects of the 1000-calorie diet
- This diet lacks certain vital nutrients that provide energy with the low intake of calories. Walking, running, sleeping, digestion all require calories so such a drastic reduction in the calories is not a healthy option.
- Some unpleasant forms of internal damage can also come into effect due to the lack of nutrition, in the form of dehydration, loss in muscle mass, lack of energy, slower heart rate, hair loss, and weaker nails.
- Because the drastic cut in calories lowers your metabolism, a lower metabolic rate results in more rapid weight gain when calories are increased at a later date.
- This diet can be dangerous to those who are well built or have athletic physiques. It is not suitable for men.
- Starvation is an ill effect of this diet and susceptibility to injuries may occur due to exhaustion from the lack of calories.
- It can affect your moods and cause fatigue and loss of concentration.
- It can cause sleeplessness.
READ MORE: 12 simple flat tummy exercises to do at home
The BetterMe Team wants you and those close to you to live a healthy, happy life! Your health is a valuable thing; look after your body and your mind so that you can live your life to the fullest – Remember you only get one!
Please share this with your friends and family and let us know what you think in the comments below.