Finding new lumps anywhere in the body is always a stressful event, isn't it?

Thousands of people ask their doctors to make an appointment as soon as possible, when noticed a nodule in the neck.

Thyroid gland is a small butterfly-like formation, situated in the front area of your neck. Most of us don't see it in the mirror and don’t feel when touching the neck. This gland creates hormones, called thyroxine and triiodothyronine, which are able to control body temperature, periods and fertility, ways you use energy (metabolism), brain performance and skin appearance.

Credit: Freepik

Credit: Freepik

If you've found a lump in the neck, it's probably a thyroid nodule. Some nodules grow so big that it becomes really difficult to swallow, while other lumps can be found only by medical specialist during routine examination.

Actually women are three times more likely to have thyroid nodules than men. Statistics shows that approximately 30% of women in 30s have lumps within their butterfly-shaped glands. And this risk grows with passing years. Thus, your chances of having thyroid nodule in the age of 70 are nearly 70%.

Credit: Freepik

Credit: Freepik

The good news is that most nodules, developed in the thyroid gland, are benign. However 2-3 of them appear to be malignant, according to the American Cancer Society’s data.

READ MORE: 8 fashion mistakes to avoid

Some nodules can produce excessive amount of thyroxine, leading to hyperthyroidism. In this disorder people usually feel extremely irritable and nervous all the time. They lose weight even without trying, though appetite is commonly increased.

Credit: Freepik

Credit: Freepik

Women with overactive thyroid nodule may also complain of irregular, scanty menses and heart palpitations.

Experts convince that hormone-produced nodules are almost 100% non-cancerous.

READ MORE: Lift boobs with 3 simple moves

Credit: Freepik

Credit: Freepik

In the majority of cases nodules are filled with liquid or colloid material (packed form of thyroxine). This sacs are called cysts.

Solid lumps are made up of cells and don't contain as much fluid, as cysts. It was found that firm cellular nodules contain cancerous cells more often than cysts.

If you feel numerous nodules in your swollen thyroid gland, it can be multinodular goiter.

Credit: Freepik

Credit: Freepik

It's not really possible to know exactly, whether your nodule is benign or cancerous, if not testing it professionally.

Your doctor might use blood tests, imagine tests (like ultrasound, CT, radioiodine scan etc.) and biopsy to discern between non-cancerous and malignant lumps.

READ MORE: 4 easy exercises for well-toned arms

The BetterMe Team wants you and those close to you to live a healthy, happy life! Your health is a valuable thing; look after your body and your mind so that you can live your life to the fullest – Remember you only get one!

Please share this with your friends and family and let us know what you think in the comments below.