Many people continue to believe in myths about health, which do not have any scientific grounds, and they are everywhere quite often repeated. These myths, it can be said, are simply settled in many people's heads. Some people, especially people of an elderly age, continue to believe them.
Indeed, some people still believe that if you swallow a chewing gum, it will necessarily stick to the walls of the stomach, and there will be acne from the eating of chocolate, or when you click the joints in your youth, you will have arthritis in old age.
What is considered absolute truth today, tomorrow will be refuted - it has become a familiar matter in modern medicine. Medical myths are a part of our daily life. Everyone has heard about them, but very few realize that these are just myths. People, including doctors, believe them, although they have no scientific confirmation, or are generally untrue. Here are the most famous myths about the health of the last several decades:
#1. 9 Month pregnancy. According to statistics only 5% of children are born on the date, which doctor predicted. The rest 95% are born in the period between the sixth and the ninth months of pregnancy.
#2. Overweight is unhealthy. If you are overweight, but you are leading a healthy life style and exercise, you can live even longer than your friends with normal weight. Relatively thin people can have unhealthy fat inside. This fat is called visceral (internal) fat and fills vital organs. Thin people who have visceral fat are still at risk of cardiovascular disease, type 2 diabetes and cancer. Any person, thin or not, may be at risk of cardiovascular disease or diabetes, it all depends on genetics. People often think that those who eat too much and do not exercise can have diabetes, but in fact, about 20% of people with diabetes are thin, and this is mainly related to genetics.
#3. Too much salt is not good. For years, doctors have argued that salt provokes hypertension in people and increases blood pressure, so the consumption of this harmful product should be minimized! However, today they began to doubt that salt is the product that causes the development of these unpleasant diseases. Of course, excessive consumption of salt is really harmful for your body. However, if you add a little salt to your meals, you can make your diabetes risk lower.
#4. Organic food is free of pesticides. Almost all people believe that organic food is healthy and contains much more useful elements that usual food. However, it can contain up to twenty chemicals, be careful. The safety of any food, organic or not, can only be determined in a carefully designed clinical trial. There are several substances that can be tested with this method. Therefore, people can never say for sure, that organic food is always safer than non organic food.
#5. Honey is better than sugar. Studies have proved that this statement is false. According to recent studies, honey is not much better and healthier than sugar. So, you should be careful and not eat it too much.
#6. Eating gives you a night vision. This is one of the most famous myths. We all have repeatedly said that carrots help to improve our vision, because it contains lots of vitamin A. Carrots actually contain vitamin A, but consuming a large amount of this vitamin does not improve our eyesight. Eating carrots is good for your health, as any vegetable, but you will not improve your night vision with carrots.
#7. 10% of the brain is used. This theory about the use of 10 percent of the capacity of the brain has existed for almost a century. Sometimes this statement is attributed to Albert Einstein, but there is not a single record confirming this. So, we can say that his is not true. Your body needs to use the whole brain to function properly. Various iconographic studies have proved that there is no part of the brain that is absolutely inactive.
#8. Eating at night will make you fat. The time when you eat is not important. It is much more important what you eat and how much food you eat. However, this is does not mean that you can eat the whole day. You should have your eating regimen.
#9. Microwaves can give you cancer. This is not so. Microwaves do not change the food, they just heat it. A number of statistical studies conducted at different times by different scientists show that there is absolutely no correlation between the use microwaves and the development of cancer in humans.
READ MORE: The wall workout can totally transform body
The BetterMe Team wants you and those close to you to live a healthy, happy life! Your health is a valuable thing; look after your body and your mind so that you can live your life to the fullest – Remember you only get one!
Please share this with your friends and family and let us know what you think in the comments below.